Thursday, December 30, 2010

Spanish Dancer

Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
For all my years of diving in Kona, I've never seen a Spanish Dancer nudibranch. I don't night dive very often and that's when they're most active. My luck changed, however, on an early morning dive earlier this month when I happened across a juvenile specimen in a small cave at Honaunau.




Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler


This was a small individual, only a couple inches in length, but very active. It was making its way to the back of the cave to escape the increasing sunlight.
Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
This little creature allowed me plenty of time to take its photograph and I was happy with the images I got. In the past, this small cave has been the scene for encounters with sea turtles, ulua, a Whitetip Reef Shark and an assortment of interesting mollusks and crustaceans. It's a good place to check out.

Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler




No comments:

Post a Comment