Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dive Report for Saturday 12/05/09



The water was a little rough at Honaunau Bay on Saturday but nowhere near the double digits forecasted for west-facing shores. A high surf advisory is in effect through Wednesday. When I arrived at the beach, groups of Spinner Dolphins (Nai'a) were visible in the north end of the bay, approaching quite near to shore. I donned my gear and swam out in the general direction of the pod.


Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

Even before I could get off the surface, the dolphins were all around me. It was still early in the morning (around 7:15) so there was not a great deal of sunlight to photograph by.


Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

The dolphins were apparently freshly arrived after a night of hunting out in the deep ocean. They were leaping out of the water and the sea was abuzz with their clicks and whistles.


Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

I give the dolphins plenty of space and how close they come is entirely up to them. On almost every encounter, there is a sub-group of three or four males who will make a few close passes. This seems to be their role in the pod, to check out any interlopers and make sure they pose no threat.




Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

In the early morning light the image of dolphins descending on you is almost celestial or spiritual. I find myself thinking it's like seeing angels appear out of the heavens,







Photos Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

Very few days pass where I don't stop and think about what a fortunate soul I am. Especially so on mornings like this at Honaunau Bay. Encountering wild dolphins, on their own terms is like a waking dream. Moving to the Big Island was one of the best decisions my wife and I ever made.




Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

I estimated there to be ~ 30 individuals in the pod although they were divided into sub-groups. When I started to get low on air, I retreated to the shallow waters of the reef to off-gas and look at some of the smaller creatures. When I returned to the beach, I looked seaward to find that the dolphins had departed from the bay. I was glad they spent part of their brief visit with me.


After an hour's surface interval, I re-entered the ocean again and was lucky enough to have another encounter with a big creature. This time, I happened upon upon a "baby" Spotted Eagle Ray in the south end of the bay. This individual is well known to local SCUBA and free-divers who have been casually observing her progress over the last couple months. She has an almost ridiculously long tail that she will "grow into" as she matures.




Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

I took a few photos while she circled around in the sand looking for prey. As she drifted away, I turned my attention toward other matters. Like dolphins, rays pretty much control the duration of any encounter as they can swim away whenever they choose.




Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

A few moments later I looked up and saw her soaring along the drop-off as gracefully as her namesake bird. It was a remarkable sight to see backlit against the morning light. 
Photo Copyright 2009 by Barry Fackler

One last sight to share. This cheerful wreath is actually the egg mass of a large sea slug called a Spanish Dancer nudibranch. I include it here because it puts me in mind of the holiday season which I hope you all are enjoying!






No comments:

Post a Comment